A garage lintel is a structural component that is designed to provide support to the garage door opening. It is typically made of steel or reinforced concrete and is placed horizontally across the top of the garage door opening to distribute the weight of the garage door and the surrounding structure. Lintels are important in the construction of buildings as they help prevent structural damage and ensure the safety of the building occupants.
If you are a homeowner with a garage, it is important to keep an eye out for any signs that your garage lintel may need to be repaired. Signs that your garage lintel may need to be repaired include:
- Cracks or fractures: One of the most common signs that your garage lintel may need to be repaired is the presence of cracks or fractures. These can occur due to age, weather, or heavy loads being placed on the lintel. It is important to have these cracks or fractures repaired as soon as possible as they can weaken the structure of the garage and lead to more serious damage
- Sagging or bowing: If you notice that the lintel above your garage door is sagging or bowing, this is a sign that it may be under stress and may need to be repaired. Sagging or bowing can occur due to the weight of the garage door, heavy loads being placed on the lintel, or a weakened structure.
- Rust or corrosion: If your lintel is made of steel, it may be prone to rust or corrosion over time. Rust or corrosion can weaken the structure of the lintel and make it more prone to damage. If you notice any signs of rust or corrosion on your garage lintel, it is important to have it inspected by a professional to determine if it needs to be repaired or replaced.
- Separation from the wall: Another sign that your garage lintel may need to be repaired is if it has separated from the wall above the garage door opening. This can occur due to heavy loads being placed on the lintel or a weakened structure. If you notice any separation between the lintel and the wall, it is important to have it inspected by a professional to determine if it needs to be repaired or replaced.
If you notice any of these signs of damage to your garage lintel, it is important to have it inspected by a professional as soon as possible. A damaged or weakened garage lintel can lead to serious structural damage, which can be costly to repair. Additionally, a damaged lintel can pose a safety hazard to the occupants of the building.
To ensure the longevity of your garage lintel, it is important to take care of it and have it inspected periodically by a professional. Regular inspections can help identify any signs of damage or wear and tear before they become serious issues. Additionally, proper maintenance of the lintel can help prevent damage from occurring in the first place.
Some tips for maintaining your garage lintel include:
- Keep the lintel clean and free of debris: Dirt, dust, and debris can accumulate on the lintel over time, which can cause it to weaken or become damaged. It is important to keep the lintel clean and free of debris to ensure its longevity.
- Ensure proper installation: Proper installation of the lintel is essential to its effectiveness. It is important to ensure that the lintel is installed correctly by a professional to prevent future damage.
- Avoid placing heavy loads on the lintel: Placing heavy loads on the lintel can cause it to weaken or become damaged. It is important to avoid placing heavy loads on the lintel to prevent damage.
- Schedule regular inspections: Regular inspections can help identify any signs of damage or wear and tear before they become serious issues. It is important to schedule regular inspections of your garage lintel to ensure its longevity and prevent
Our product is the only patented solution for failing garage lintels available on the market. The LintelLift system includes one steel header beam, two steel side columns, decorative covers, and all necessary hardware for one comprehensive solution. The system is offered in an array of standard garage sizes, and we can also custom fit LintelLift to support any oversized door.
Need A Lift?
If you’re noticing cracking brickwork or a slight sag in your garage door, call LintelLift at 1-833-903-2226 for more information and to schedule a free inspection of your current circumstances today.